Wednesday, November 8, 2017

How many more shootings?

I haven't added to this blog in a long time, but the recent eruption of shootings has motivated me.

I believe that there are LOTS of people who would like to see a better system of gun control in the U.S.  I have read many posts by gun owners who think we need better gun control.  But the answer always seems to be:  But the NRA . . .

OK.  The NRA has a lot of members.  And a lot of political clout.  Congresspeople and Senators don't want to get the NRA mad at them.

So it seems to me that gun control needs its own organization.  I'll call it the National Gun Control Association (NGCA) -- but I'll bet somebody can think of a better name.  I'll bet the NGCA could end up having more members than the NRA.  I'll bet there are people willing to put their money where their mouth is to make sure the NGCA could run its own ads to counteract the NRA's.  I'll bet there are people familiar with lobbying (or willing to learn) who could go to the halls of Congress and tell folks:  You REALLY need to take the NGCA seriously.  And get out there ahead of the 2018 elections to let every Representative and 1/3 of the Senators understand that being wishy-washy about gun control may get them NRA votes, but will lose them LOTS MORE VOTES from the NCGA.

So how about somebody with organizing experience and charisma and time get out there and make this thing happen?  I, unfortunately, have none of those things.  But I'm willing to put out the word.  And I would join.

No comments:

Post a Comment